birding-aus

Re: guess the nest owner

Subject: Re: guess the nest owner
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 14:18:48 +1100
On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 09:26:04AM +1100,  wrote:
> Can you guess the species that owns the nest?
> http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~andrewt/nest.jpg

Apologies for the long delay.   No one guessed successfully - it a
Little Shrike-thrush.  Taken 3 weeks ago next to a small tributary of
the Victoria River within Gregory NP (west of the NT).

Wonderful spot.  I was there in the middle of a hot day (42C air temp in
the shade) but there was great deal of bird activity - lots of calling
and movement in the riverine vegetation.  Quite different to about here
(Sydney).  I had a quick look but couldn't find any general study of
seasonal activity in Top End birds.

Unfortunately this much less activity around the banks of the Victoria
mid-afternoon when I unsuccessfully looked for Purple-crowned Wrens.

Andrew