Gluepot Fire update

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Gluepot Fire update
From: "Peter Waanders" <>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 17:01:11 +1030
Hi Everyone
The rangers sent a report this morning of which the following extracts are

"We are still going strong at Gluepot, following a stressful Thursday.

As I write very early on Friday a quick inspection shows that the Birdseye
fire is smouldering on some mallee roots about ½ km east of the Malleefowl
Walk on the south side of the road, in about the same position we observed
it yesterday. The good news is that it hardly appears to have moved. Once
again today’s weather will tell the story.

At about 3pm yesterday (Thursday) we received notification from Mid Murray
that we (the homestead area) were under severe threat from the approaching
fire front because of the changing wind pattern. We began immediate
preparations installing the
appliance on the outlet west of  the house, rolling out hoses a pump and
hoses at the Visitor Centre, buckets of  water etc at strategic locations,
cleaned gutters and then we allocated tasks to all and battened down to
wait.  At about 6.30pm we were further advised that the fire front would
pass away to the east so we were able to relax a little. However there was
bad smoke haze and we did experience some falling ash.

CFS were unable to get us additional support because the road in is still
closed and of course they are badly stretched. They made the tactical
decision early yesterday morning that asset protection, not fire fighting,
was their priority in the extreme weather expected. Temp here yesterday was
41.4˚ C with northerly winds turning to the south in the afternoon as the
change came through.

Everybody, firefighters, rangers, assistants and researchers pulled
together marvellously during this difficult time. We have received
tremendous assistance and are grateful for the support we have received
from everybody during this difficult time.

With ameliorating weather conditions expected today we are beginning to
feel a little more optimistic about the future, but again we will have to

The reserve remains shut to visitors.

The bottom line is that our main danger remains fires approaching from the
south which are not yet on Gluepot.


Tony & Suzi"


Peter Waanders
Waikerie, South Australia
mob.: 0424 212889
SA Birding:

********* This email and any attachments may be confidential and legally
Please notify the sender immediately if you received this message in error.
Please do not delete or alter this notice.


To unsubscribe from this mailing list,
send the message:
(in the body of the message, with no Subject line)

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>
  • Gluepot Fire update, Peter Waanders <=

The University of NSW School of Computer and Engineering takes no responsibility for the contents of this archive. It is purely a compilation of material sent by many people to the birding-aus mailing list. It has not been checked for accuracy nor its content verified in any way. If you wish to get material removed from the archive or have other queries about the archive e-mail Andrew Taylor at this address: andrewt@cse.unsw.EDU.AU