birding-aus

Warriewood Little Bittern.

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Warriewood Little Bittern.
From: "Bruce Cox" <>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 14:31:19 +1100
Hi Birding-aussers,

I watched one of the Little Bitterns (there may be more than one!) on one of
the water treatment ponds near Warriewood Wetland this morning. These birds
have been there for 4 weeks now during which time they have been seen by
quite a few people and some excellent photographs taken. The bird I watched
this morning was clearly different to the female photographed by Nevil
Lazarus and published on ozbirdpix. I think it is a sub adult bird as I
originally reported.
As Nevil said he saw a male and female there could be three birds.

I watched it for 20 minutes perched in the sedge which the pond is planted
with. During which time it sunned and preened itself  before descending
through the sedge to just above water level where it remained immobile just
inside the sedge stems for possibly 10 minutes before diving on something (I
think it missed). It then clambered back up, shook the water off and storked
away, initially just inside the edge of the stems but then out in the open
where it appeared to walk on the water (matted sedge stems?). I then
disappeared over a timber divider which runs north/south in the pond. At no
time did it appear particularly concerned about my presence.

Definitely my longest uninterrupted view of this species. Previous views at
this location have been little more than flashes as it flew between clumps
of vegetation plus one longer flight over open water which only lasted a few
seconds..

Bruce.

Bruce Cox on Sydney's Northern Beaches.