birding-aus

Bush-hen and Black Bittern

Subject: Bush-hen and Black Bittern
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:32:35 +1000
The Bush-hen returned to Abberton for the third consecutive year on
Wednesday 22nd November. It was calling loudly from around 4pm.

This is a month earlier than our previous records, and when we didn't hear
it for the next couple of nights, we thought it might have just been passing
through. But it was calling again from around 8pm onwards on Saturday
evening, 25th November.

Its pattern in previous years has been to call late every afternoon from the
same patch of undergrowth across the creek from the house. The calling can
go on for hours, often well into the night. I haven't seen the bird yet this
year. It's an almost impossible bird to find.

The recent rain has brought the creek back in front of the house - just.
This-afternoon (Wednesday, 29 November), a strikingly marked male Black
Bittern dropped onto a small sandbank in the middle of the creek, in view of
our windows.

As usually happens when they turn-up, he disappeared while I went for the
camera. A stay in full view of maybe 20 seconds.

I took a stealthy walk along the creek bank, upstream then down, and decided
he wasn't still around, at which point he got up from the creek margin
directly across from where I was standing, and beat his way upstream.
Leaving me thinking that I should have seen him first! As also usually
happens.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

(27º 34' 21" S; 152º 08' 21" E)

Visit our website at www.abberton.org

Advertisement: Meet Sexy Singles Today @ Lavalife - Click here
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D23769&_t=754951090&_r=endtext_lavalife_nov_meet&_m=EXT