birding-aus

Bee Eaters and a marvellous peregrine falcon sighting

To: "'Birding-aus (E-mail)'" <>
Subject: Bee Eaters and a marvellous peregrine falcon sighting
From: "Nevil Lazarus" <>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 19:45:02 +1100
                Very early this morning we were at the Colo River site,
where the Bee Eaters are attending to their nesting sites. It was
overcast so we sat in the car, waiting for the light to improve, and at
the same time observing a pair of Bee Eaters sitting on a perch on the
large open field.
                I had the Bee Eater in my binoculars and was alerted
when it looked over its shoulder and bolted for its life.
                A Peregrine came hurtling over the field, about 10mt
above ground level, and made for a low tree just behind where we were
parked.
                A Galah burst out of the tree and flew for its life with
the falcon in hot pusuit. We were fortunate in that the flight path took
them higher and still visible against the overcast sky.
                The falcon was closing in but appeared to us that it was
not going at its maximum speed, when then, out of the sky, at right
angles to the Galah, a second falcon screamed into action and slammed
into the Galah, with the impact spraying feathers into the sky. The two
falcons then flew off together to enjoy their breakfast whilst Ofer and
I, in improving light, got some lovely Bee Eater pics....

                I have updated the pics on the website;

                http://photobucket.com/albums/i130/nevillazarus/

                Code is "nevbirds"

                Best wishes,