birding-aus

RE: [Birding-Aus] Gull

Subject: RE: [Birding-Aus] Gull
From: "Simon Mustoe" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 02:50:15 +0000

  Mike,

  The weight of adult silver gulls is pretty much exactly half that of
  black tailed gull (~250g compared to 500g+). Length is pretty
  meaningless when comparing the size of two birds in different families
  when one is slim and small, the other very large and bulky.

  As for the description of the bird, you may join me in ceremoniously
  burning all the popular Australian fieldguides. Allow me to quote from
  text on juvenile Silver Gull from HANZAB, which is the only guide to
  be trusted, though slightly bulky to carry in the field!

  "Differ from adult by: varying  faint brown smudge in front of eye and
  brown wash over crown, nape and ear-coverts...and pale grey wash on
  lower hindneck...Bill, dull black, with brown at base; some have
  varying pink tinge...Legs and feet, pink-grey to pink-brown".

  Regards,

  Simon Mustoe