birding-aus

Gull, Werribee

To: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Subject: Gull, Werribee
From: "Graham Etherington" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 08:50:05 +1000
Geoffrey,
If this was a Black-tailed Gull, then to have a pink-based bill and a dark
eye, it would have to be a young bird (they have pink bills between juvenile
and second-summer plumage, attaining a yellow-based bill and pale iris). But
a young BTG would have much more dark on the underparts than this bird.
Also, the bill is too small, along with the build of the bird. BTG is quite
a large, stocky bird.
I'd suggest that this bird was a 2nd-summer Silver Gull (juveniles have
black bills, so the dark tip is what is remaining from this as it moves
towards adult plumage). The dark markings around the head are a bit of a
mystery though.
Keep looking though!
All the best,
Graham