birding-aus

Origin of leg flag

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Origin of leg flag
From: "John Barkla" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 07:20:00 +1100
Last Friday I found a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper with 2 leg flags on its right
tibia.  The colour combination was dark blue/green over white.  The upper
band was one of those colours you are never sure how to describe, but it
appeared a very deep blue/green, almost black, to my eyes.  The bird was at
the mouth of the 145W outlet at the Western Treatment Plant at 5pm.

Could someone who has an interest in banding tell me where this bird was
banded please?  I would normally call Clive, but he is away.  I am aware
that a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper banded in China was observed at the WTP in
October 2005: is this another one or is it from somewhere else?  The band
colours are not used in Australia as far as I am aware, so it would be
interesting to know where the bird is from.

John Barkla