birding-aus

I'm back!

To: <>
Subject: I'm back!
From: "Julian Bielewicz" <>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 07:00:29 +1000
In spite of persistent rumours to the contrary, I can reassure all old
birding-aus friends [and adversaries] that I have not departed the Mortal
Coil, dropped off the perch so to speak.  I am very much alive, even if not
kicking quite so high these days.  Age is a relentless leveller!

My long absence is easily explained.  A small promotion lead to an
inordinate increase in workload demands ? with a salary increase in no way
commensurate with the additional hours at the grindstone.  Relocation
exasperated matter.  Fay and I have taken the path trodden by many of our
ilk ? the infamous ?baby boomers?- and sought a ?sea-change?, or rather, in
our case, a ?tree-change?; from coastal Redcliffe [35km NNE of Brisbane] to
rural Nanango in the South Burnett [some 200km NNW of Brisbane].

Resettlement has taken a little longer than originally anticipated.  While
renovations on the old ?Queenslander? home are almost complete, minor
projects and readjustments seem to be never-ending.  The south veranda,
overlooking the bird table, is functional but the photographic ?hide?
beneath remains no more than a blueprint.  Extensive planting of trees,
especially casurinas [to further encourage the visiting Glossy Black
Cockatoos], continues. Talk of a second, more open, dam to encourage
waterfowl [especially that White-necked Heron observed ?flying over? but not
?on? our property] remains no more than that ? talk.

While the change from a small suburban block to 7½ acres has brought with it
many advantages ? not the least a backyard list of 137 species [to date; the
most recent, the Little Bronze-Cuckoo added five days ago, 14 November]
compared with 59 at our Kippa-Ring home- the change did bring its
challenges.  Lack of time to re-join birding-aus, indeed, lack of time to do
much more than a little cursory birding in the surrounding area.  Most of
our birding here has been from the veranda during breakfast, or from
scaffolding with hammer and nails rather than binoculars.  Lack of time to
reactivate our birding website.  Lack of time to write a dozen papers and/or
articles for publication in various journals.  Lack of time to chase up and
determine whether the honeyeater two properties down the road is a
White-throated or a White-naped; the eye suggests the former, its call the
latter.

As elsewhere in Queensland, and no doubt even further afield, water has
become an unpredictable commodity and its shortage over the past year has
already had dramatic influences on the local avifauna.  Black-faced
Cuckoo-shrike, rated ?common? in 2001 has become scarce.  Raptors no longer
abound.

Drought also inflicts hardships on the garden and several orchard trees
teeter on the point of expiration.  That could further rebound on the local
birds who seem to delight in pre-picking our fruit, leaving us with no more
than wishful memories of homemade plum jam.

Still, on balance, it has been a beneficial change and there is now the
glimmer of light at the end of the renovation tunnel.  This posting in
itself is perhaps proof that we are beginning to squeeze in time for more
recreational pursuits.  I?ll believe it when I see our personal birding
website reactivated.

Jan England and Bob Inglis have already re-touched base with us.  It would
be pleasant to have other former birding-aus friends drop us a line.  Even a
line from previous adversaries would probably be welcomed; age has mellowed
the spleen ? or at least I?d like to think so.  Others may disagree.

Julian Bielewicz