birding-aus

Guthega - Perisher - Snowy Mountains

Subject: Guthega - Perisher - Snowy Mountains
From: "Damien Farine" <>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 11:06:23 +1100
Hey All,
Just came back from a few days in the snowies. A few hours driving around with a few stops for birdwatching yielded a few birds here and there. Though we couldn't find the elusive Olive Whistlers, any suggestions of areas with some suitable habitat for next time? We were thinking along the Thredbo river, but Sunday's weather prevented any forays into that area. The list below is mainly from between Guthega and Jindabyne.

Inland thornbills were all around Guthega in the scrubby patches where no live gums were present. After much discussion, identity was decided by listening to the calls off tape. Are they known to be in that area? All references I found were to Brown Thornbills.. although Slater clumps them in with the Browns.

Cheers,
Damien

Brown Falcon
Galah
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Little Eagle
Starling
Masked Lapwing
Richard's Pipit
Pied Currawong
Little Raven (Nesting)
Australian Magpie (Nesting)
Flame Robin
Inland Thornbill
European Goldfinch
Welcome Swallow
Crimson Rosella
Pacific Black Duck
Wood Duck
Black Swan
Fan-tailed Cuckoo
Eastern Spinebill
Superb Fairy-wren
Yellow-faced Honeyeater
White-browed Scrubwren
Golden Whistler
Kookaburra
Gang-Gang Cockatoo
Eastern Yellow Robin
Grey Fantail
Superb Lyrebird
Australian Kestrel
Feral Pigeon
Silver Gull
Silvereye
Striated Pardalote
Spotted Pardalote
Grey Shrike-thrush
Red Wattlebird

Reptiles
Alpine copperhead snake
Blotched blue-tongue Lizard

Mammals
Swamp Wallaby
Red-necked Wallaby
Eastern Grey Kangaroo

Advertisement: House hunt online now! http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Erealestate%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Frsearch%3Fa%3Dbhp%26t%3Dres%26cu%3DMSN&_t=758874163&_r=HM_EndText_Nov06&_m=EXT