birding-aus

Ashmore Reef expedition October 2006 - Summary

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Ashmore Reef expedition October 2006 - Summary
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 16:51:41 +1100
This year, the eight-day Broome-Ashmore Reef-Lacepedes-Broome expedition ran
from 23 to 30 October. Logistics and permits were organised by George & Lindsey
Swann of Kimberley Birdwatching. Personnel were Richard Baxter, John Brooke,
Greig & Annemarie Foletta, Alan Ford, Laurie Knight, Gil Langfield, David
Mules, Frank O’Connor, Tony Palliser, Enid Pascoe, Stuart Pell, Tony Russell,
George Swann and Mike Carter (leader).
Our route up took us NW from Broome but on reaching the shelf break veered NNE
to cruise along the continental slope around the 500 m bathymetric. Later we
passed over deeper water west of Scott Reef. We continued travelling throughout
the first two nights and entered the lagoon at Ashmore Reef at 11.30 on the
25th, our third day. Our berth for the next three nights was at the inner
mooring just off West Island. We went ashore there six times, each afternoon
and early morning of our stay. Once again, each visit produced another exciting
find. At the invitation of, and escorted by, the DEH wardens on the Customs
Vessel stationed at Ashmore, for the first time on these trips, we went ashore
on both Middle and East Islands. Thus we walked the perimeter of these islands
for about 1.3 hours enjoying close communion with the thousands of breeding
seabirds. However, these visits did not coincide with full high tide so we
encountered fewer roosting waders than on previous visits. We cleared our
mooring at Ashmore at 09.20 on the 28th and headed SSW until dark. Thereafter
we headed south to the Lacepedes where we anchored offshore of West Island at
19.10 on 29th. Next morning we spent 3 hours ashore among the abundant terns,
shorebirds and breeding seabirds. We disembarked at Broome at 17.30 that day.

Thus the equivalent of five full days were spent at sea aboard the 21 m,
air-conditioned charter vessel ‘Flying Fish V’. Sea conditions were good to
excellent with mainly flat seas on a low swell but it was a little choppy in
the afternoons of the first and last days due to the land induced sea breeze.
Contrary to last year, cloudless skies, a relentless sun, low wind, high heat
and humidity produced uncomfortable conditions when ashore.

At least 75 species of bird were recorded, including 34 seabirds, several
rarities and others of great significance.

Landbird highlights on West Island (UNO), Ashmore, included the following. All
were photographed.

[Wallacean Cuckoo-shrike] 2 each day. Investigations to prove the true identity
of these birds are proceeding. If proved, this will be a new bird for Australia.

Middendorff’s Grasshopper Warbler, 1 on 27th & 28th.

Asian Brown Flycatcher, 1 each day.

            (This is only the second report of both the above species in
Australia and both were at this site last year!)

Oriental Reed Warbler, 1 on 26th on Middle Island & 1 on 28th on West Island.

Oriental Cuckoo, 5-8 daily.

Little Bronze-Cuckoo, 1-2 most days.

Gould’s Bronze-Cuckoo, 1, a controversial claim still under review as this
‘species’ or form is not considered to occur in WA.

Collared Kingfisher, 1 from 26th to 28th. Currently thought of the nominate
race and therefore of Indonesian origin but investigations are continuing.

Dollarbird, 1 on 28th.

Yellow Wagtail, daily, maximum of 8.

Tree Martin, 1 accompanied our boat for a while on the 24th, ~280 km NW of Cape
Leveque!

Notable absentees were Arctic Warbler and Barn Swallow.

The usual local tropical Seabirds, Masked, Red-footed & Brown (15,000) Boobies,
Great & Lesser (5,000) Frigatebirds, Common (30,000) & Black Noddies, Bridled
(4,300), Sooty (20,100), Crested, Lesser Crested, Roseate (20,000) and Little
Terns were present on one or both reefs. All, other than those in italics, were
breeding. Although Red-tailed & White-tailed Tropicbirds were seen on West
Island, Ashmore, there were fewer than on previous trips and White-tailed was
not found breeding. We were concerned that this was the result of disturbance
or even predation by illegal immigrants or fisherman that landed on the island
earlier this year when surveillance at Ashmore was temporarily suspended.
Broken trees and the remains of fires were evidence of damage on West Island.

Migrant Seabirds of note included:

8 Tahiti Petrels, 63 Bulwer’s Petrels, 1 Jouanin’s Petrel, 11 Streaked
Shearwaters, 19 Wilson’s Storm-Petrels, 60 Matsudaira’s Storm-Petrels, 12
Swinhoe’s Storm-Petrels (more on previous reports of these to come!), 2 Arctic
& 3 Long-tailed Jaegers.

Cetaceans were unusually obvious, abundant and photogenic. Three species of
Whale, Short-finned Pilot, Melon-headed & False Killer were seen well and five
species of Dolphin, Rough-toothed, Bottle-nosed, Pan-Tropical Spotted,
Long-snouted Spinner (old taxonomy) & Fraser’s.

Reptiles included Green, Hawksbill & Flatback Turtles and several sea-snakes.

A fuller report produced from my manual records will be available from George
Swann of Kimberley Birdwatching or myself. Hopefully these, and a detailed
report produced by Frank O’Connor from the computer log, and a selection of
photographs will be available at some future date on the web at
www.kimberleybirdwatching.com.au. Some photographs have already been placed on
ABID and a selection of Tony Palliser’s pictures is available at
http://users.bigpond.net.au/palliser/pelagic/Ashmore/index.htm

The 2007 cruise is again scheduled from 23-30 October (to be confirmed). As
this years cruise was fully subscribed, persons should register their interest
ASAP with Kimberley Birdwatching or myself.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930
Ph:  (03) 9787 7136