birding-aus

Re: Albino Magpie (Melb.)

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Re: Albino Magpie (Melb.)
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 13:15:23 +1100
G'day birders

The albino Australian Magpie that Martin O'brien alerted us to is still there. I saw it yesterday and photographed it today. It is a fledgling which according to two independent groups of local knowledge has been out of the nest for two weeks. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

It is a true albino with all plumage, bill, legs, and eye all white or slightly pink. Its parents appear to not discriminate between it and its normal sibling which both get fed when they beg. The begging call is normal in both young.

The locals are energetically landscaping the creek and hillside with locally native plants and are rejoicing that Brown Thornbills and Rainbow Lorikeets had moved in. I have been looking at Birds-of- paradise for so long in NG that I had forgotten (well almost) what some of these birds looked like. I saw 15 Tawny Frogmouths around Blackburn South and Wattle Park, yesterday - not that they were what I went out to see.

Happy birding