birding-aus

NSW - A good morning in the Hawkesbury area (including a RUFF) - 11th No

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: NSW - A good morning in the Hawkesbury area (including a RUFF) - 11th Nov 2006
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 19:39:28 +1100
Today had a good morning's birding in the Hawkesbury area (approx 55km
NW of Sydney CBD)

At Pitt Town Lagoon was a RUFF, with a Wood and Marsh Sandpiper, 150
Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, 22 Glossy Ibis, Red-kneed Dotterels,
Hoary-headed Grebe, Pink-eared Ducks, Pacific Heron and several
Australian and Baillon's Crakes amongst many other water birds. Pallid
and Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoo's were also quite showy.

At the Windsor-Richmond turf farms I saw one Banded Lapwing beside the
Windsor end of Cornwallis Rd (where I saw a pair in winter).

I also briefly checked Bakers Lagoon (which looks promising over the
next coming weeks) were I saw another Banded Lapwing on edge of the
Lagoon, 50 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, a Red-necked Stint and a Baillon's
Crake.

There were also 8 White-browed Woodswallows still present along
Blacktown Rd at Freemans Reach with at least one fledgling Woodswallows
seen amongst the adults. Also around Freemans Reach were Dusky
Woodswallows, White-winged Triller, Peaceful Dove, Crested Shrike-tit,
White-throated Gergones, Rufous Whistlers and Restless Flycatchers.

A good morning indeed!

Edwin Vella