birding-aus

Part IV trip in Australia

Subject: Part IV trip in Australia
From: "Justin Jansen" <>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 17:18:02 +1000
Hi all,

My thirth update of my Australian trip. My last e-mail dated from 23 october, so I pick up from this date.

24 October

At Mission Beach a very tame and confiding Southern Cassowary we recorded at Liacula State Forest. At the Tyto Wetlands at ingham a Black-backed Bittern flew above the reeds here. And as non-birding highlight was a Lumholtz Tree Kangaroo at the Millaa Millaa Falls. Spotlighting with Allan Gillanders brought us except for some good mammals also a Barrking Owl.

25 October

At Gourkie Rd a lone Blue-faced Finch was present as a Yellow-breasted Boatbill and the more commoner species. At The Curten Fig tree a confiding pair of Pied Monarch was present. At Nardellos Lagoon a pair of Cotton Pygmy Goose. And at Granite Gorge the gorgeous Mareeba Rock wallabies.

26 October

At Giles Road (near Kingfisher Park) a lone Blue-faced Finch was seen. And at Chillagoe few Chillagoe Swiftlets where seen. At Mareeba 3 Sarus where seen, and at Kingfisher Park a Red-ncked Crake (pair), Masked Owl and few Barn Owls where seen.

27 October

At Mt Lewis the kaesti ssp of Grey Fantail was seen as the Bassian Thrush ssp and a pair of fernwrens. Also the more common species here. At Kingfisher Park again a Red-necked Crake was seen as a nice Yellow-breasted Boatbill.

28 October

At Giles Road a small flock of 5+ Blue-faced Finches was present as a Yellow-breasted Boatbill at Kingfisher Park.
At Newell Beach some difficult swallows where present that might be Pacific Swallows. I will try to stduy some skins in the near future. Took loads of photo's. Also here 1 ore 2 Barn Swallows.

29 October

At Newell Beach again the possible Pacific Swallows and together with Peter Cooper some good flocks of White-throated Needletails, Gould's Bronze Cuckoo's, Mangrove Robin and a lone Little Kingfisher.

30 october'

At Thomson's Road 2 Mangrove Robins, as on the Boardwalk at Cairns Airport. At the last spot also a Litte Kingfisher. At the Botanical gardens a Shinning Bronze Cuckoo.

31 October

At cardwell at the Boatramp a Mangrove Robin was present and at Mt Spec at Golden Bowerbird was at is usual spot.

1 November

At taravale Road a Squatter Pigeon was present, but sadly no Glossy Black-cockatoos.

3 November

Around Rockhampton I found 6+ males Yellow Chats and 2 female's, and few Cotton Pygmy Goose. At Inskipp point two Black-breasted Button-quails males showed well near the point. And at Cooloola at the T&T spot 2 Ground Parrots and two King Quails where flushed.

4 November

Thanks to Tom and Marrie Tarrant I could find two Powerfull Owls at the JC Slaughter Falls as a White-throated Nightjar.

5 November

Around Daybore together with Tom and Marrie we located a fine pair of Spotted Quail Thrush and a pair of Painted Button-quail and heard few White-eared Monarchs. At night we found at Mt Glorious Sooty Owl, Southen Boobook and Marbled Frogmouth.

6 November

Tried for the second time after a failure yesterday for Bush-hen and heard it but not saw it!

Up to now I recorded 511 species this trip.

All the best, and forgive the foults in my writtings,

Justin Jansen