birding-aus

RE: New Quiz Bird on BQ Web Site

To: <>
Subject: RE: New Quiz Bird on BQ Web Site
From: <>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 14:45:36 +0800
Hello all,
             I'm new to birding-aus (joined last week), but thought I'd put my
proverbial couple of cents in on this bird. I'm from WA so my knowledge of
eastern states birds is somewhat limited but looking through the books, a
juvenile White-winged Triller definitely seems most likely to me. The
wing-pattern evident in the photo of the female triller in Flegg's Photographic
Field Guide appears very similar to the mystery bird. Similarly the patterns
around the head and eye. Also, the illustration of the juvenile white-winged
triller in The Slater Field Guide closely resembles this bird, again in the
wing pattern and the plumage on its back and also in th. The female
white-winged triller pictured in the Reader's Digest Complete Book of
Australian Birds provides a further example of similar wing and tail patterns.
I haven't been able to find a decent picture of a young Cicadabird, but from
the written descriptions I've read it seems that the streaking should be over
most of the underparts, rather than just the breast. The illustration of the
young olive-backed orioles in Slater suggests that this should also be true for
them and in addition to this, the patterning on the back is different. Again, I
have no experience with the cicadabird or oriole in the field, but those are my
thoughts from looking through field guides.
                                                Cheers,
                                                           John Graff