birding-aus

Malleefowl and Barking owls

To: "Baus" <>
Subject: Malleefowl and Barking owls
From: "Graham Turner" <>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 15:03:48 +1100
G'day Birders, I had a quick trip out to the Dubbo area (central NSW, about 300
km NW of Sydney) over the weekend to help out a mate doing some research into
barking owls.

We managed to find a pair of Barking owls with chicks in one of the small State
Forests near Goonoo Goonoo SF (and more owl pellets than I ever want to crawl
around on my hands and knees picking up ever again).

But the real highlight was spending Saturday afternoon in Goonoo looking for
malleefowl. And finding a pair of really nonchalant malleefowl who just
strolled away from us like they had no where special to be. What a great bird.

Cheers
Graham Turner

PS other goodies included

reptiles
 Diplodactylus vittatus and Heteronotia binoei

frogs
Limnodynasted terreginae and ornatus, yes it rained