birding-aus

Masked Lapwing Chicks

To: <>
Subject: Masked Lapwing Chicks
From: "Lee & Margi" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:39:21 +1000
Hi All,

This morning while gardening in the backyard I heard a couple of Masked
Lapwings causing a stir in the front yard, as I peaked over the fence I saw
two Lapwings walking down the footpath with 2 tiny chicks following behind.
As someone walked up the road the parents started swooping the walker and
the chicks took cover in the grass (they were so small they looked like
leaves on the grass).  As the walker got further away the chicks got up and
started following the parents down the path again, as we watched another
chick popped up from the grass and all 3 followed the parents down the
footpath.

There's a flat grassy vacant block a couple of houses up the street, I can
only assume they must have hatched there and the parents were taking them to
the local park which is around the corner (which is where they ended up).

Anyway, it was a very cute sight (and a nervous one as they kept going near
the road).  The chicks looked like cotton balls on legs!

Happy birding

Lee

Hervey Bay - QLD