birding-aus

PENRHYN ESTUARY - DAWN 21.10.06; EASTLAKES AM

To: "Birding-Aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: PENRHYN ESTUARY - DAWN 21.10.06; EASTLAKES AM
From: "Graham Buchan" <>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 09:53:44 +1000
Folks,

A good morning's birding at Penrhyn [despite a greyhound-owning symian
(possible neanderthalensis - distinctive pink scar tissue at juction of
metacarpals and phalanges)  who walked his two dogs past me and my scope then
across the spit putting up all the birds. Actually, change that to
australopithecus...he was also wearing a 'Bring Back The Biff' tee-shirt].
Weather cold, stong southerly, cloud cover 8:

58 BarTG
16 RNStint
1 Red Knot
1 Curlew Sandpiper
1 WF Tern
5 Little Tern (too far away to get the bling!)
6 Crested Terns
2 Whiskered Tern
+200 Silver Gulls

At Eastlakes caught up with Ray Gobbe to look for Little Bittern (not seen) and
then met up with Edwin Vella and Stewart Pickering. Of interest:

3 Whiskered Tern (1 non-breeding)
1 Rufous Fantail ("Beautiful plumage, the Rufous Fantail.")
1 Horsefield's Bronze-Cuckoo
1 Golden Whistler (female)
2 Baillon's Crake
1 Buff-Banded Rail