birding-aus

[BQ_Forum] Mystery Wader

To: "Tim Murphy" <>, <>
Subject: [BQ_Forum] Mystery Wader
From: "Jon Wren" <>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 16:07:17 +1000
Gooday all,
I copied the photo for Quiz 2 Bird One to Picture Manager and was able to get a more detailed image and wish to revise my original suggestion of Asian Dowitcher to Bar-tailed Godwit adult non-breeding plumage. After having a closer look at the picture I notice now the bill seems to be so long due to the fact that the bird is extracting a worm from the mud! Or is it a female with the longer bill? Buff scalloping of feathers on the mantle plus the fine streaking down the neck and side of breast plus a hint of pink at the base of the bill when zoomed in makes me more in favour of the Bar-tailed Godwit now. Thanks Tim for an interesting photo, it is difficult to come to a full conclusion with just one photo but once habits are observed and noted then the task can be a lot easier. Such as the sewing machine feeding action of the Dowitcher that you mentioned. I recall years ago reading an article about Long-billed Dowitchers as opposed to Short-billed Dowitchers. In short it came to the conclusion that some S-b D have bills the same size as L-b D and vica versa. We are all learning and again have been into the Field guides etc to study the notes, making us more prepared for the birding challenges ahead. Jon Wren