birding-aus

Report of Variable Oystercatcher, Port Fairy.

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Report of Variable Oystercatcher, Port Fairy.
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:17:07 +1000
Hi all,

I've been trying to catch up with what has been posted to Birding-Aus over the
past couple of weeks.
In the process I re-read Justin Jansen's report (part II) of his recent trip to
Australia.

Justin's report is detailed and interesting but something struck me as particularly interesting in his sightings from the Port Fairy area.
(Port Fairy is on the SW coast of Victoria.)

Justin reports seeing : "Pied and Variable Oystercatcher".

Questions:
Did anyone else notice the claim of Variable Oystercatcher?
Was this a typing error?
Has there ever been an accepted sighting of Variable Oystercatcher in Australia?

If this is not a typographical error I suspect that Justin actually saw a Sooty Oystercatcher and mistook it for a black morph Variable Oystercatcher.

Cheers

Bob Inglis
Sandstone Point
SE Qld