birding-aus

Mutton Birds: final word

To: Russell Woodford <>,
Subject: Mutton Birds: final word
From: Fairy Wren <>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:40:45 +1000 (EST)
Hi Russell

  As a purist, stirrer & fully-paid-up member of 'the rest' I totally agree! :)

  My intention in posting originally was to share my shock at a respected
public service media organization promoting the killing and eating of seabirds.
I guess I was working on the 'thin end of the wedge' principle: that
non-conservation-minded people, hearing that broadcast and being ignorant of
the facts, might think it's OK to take pot-shots at ANY type of seabird, not
just a shearwater, and cook it.... :(

  I guess those of us concerned should direct our comments to the producer of
the programme in question....

  Cheers,
  Anneliese
  Melbourne.

Russell Woodford <> wrote:
  Hmmm ... I can't quite see how this fits the Birding-Aus charter:
bird watching ... habitat ... conservation ... wild birds ...
rarities ... No, I can't see "bird recipes" listed there.

Enough, I think. The purists will be unsubscribing, the stirrers
will be thinking of a smart reply, and the rest will be wondering
what they should eat to settle their upset stomach.

This thread probably won't stay on the archive - at least not the
recipes!

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner

Geelong Victoria Australia
http://www.birding-aus.org

On 16/10/2006, at 2:58 PM, Graham Buchan wrote:

> Carl,
>
> Here is a practical and simple recipe for muttonbird, picked up in New
> Zealand:

  Spring Racing Carnival - Check out Sonia Kruger's blog