birding-aus

RE: hawkesbury lagoons and Glossodia Park

To: <>
Subject: RE: hawkesbury lagoons and Glossodia Park
From: "Gordon and Pam Cain" <>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 21:08:12 +1000
Dear Keith and others of the Hawkesbury --

The Archives of this illustrious list give no references to actual birding
in Glossodia.

Glossodia Park, on Creek Ridge Road, next to the shops, has a cricket oval.
Just behind that is a volunteer-maintained short bushwalk down to Currency
Creek and around to the road at the other side of the cricket pitch. It's a
lovely little walk, and I enjoyed it last year and this year when my son had
a game there.

Between his bowling spells, from 8.30 to 10 am, I lingered in the bush and
saw:

+Double-barred finch (gorgeous)

+Lots of rufous whistlers -- including an adult and juvenile (its parent I
presume) land right in front of me, while the adult flicked its tail    up
over the body as it called to the (male I think) juvenile, before
flying off and leaving the youngster there on its own.
        ++Any idea what this is all about?

+Scarlet honeyeaters -- I think -- up very high in the trees, and not still
long enough to tell (Does this make sense for that area? -- I also saw  2
bright spots of red flit briefly around the creek) (would mistletoe
birds be in such an area?)

+Sacred kingfisher

+A cuckoo -- I think it might have been a bronze one, but not sure which

+Flycatchers and willie wagtails

+Superb fairy wrens

+Kookaburra

+And several other small birds I couldn't identify, as I'm still a bit of a
novice and only slowly learning this stuff as time permit. I also heard
several bird calls I couldn't identify.

Also lots of skinks, water dragons, and (last year at least) a big lace
monitor. And I suspect snakes, but maybe not with the lizards.

I suspect that at the right time of day and with someone who knows their
stuff, a lot more could be identified.

When you go to do the Hawkesbury Lagoons next, take time out for this little
place and let me know if it's as good as I think it is. It's lovely, shaded,
peaceful, and very accessible.

Cheers
Gordon Cain
Schofields (NW Blacktown)