birding-aus

Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo feeding its own young

To: "brian fleming" <>
Subject: Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo feeding its own young
From: "Robyn" <>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 21:08:18 +1000
Last year, I watched the MALE Koel feed the young which had left the nest of the Magpie Larks earlier in the day. After feeding it for weeks, the Magpie Larks attacked it when it moved to my yard from the tree next door. The MLs and Noisy Miners attacked it until it flew to the ground, where they continued to "buzz" it.

Along came the male, the MLs and NMs departed, and the juvenile eventually flew back into the tree. The juvenile seemed quite unsure of the male, and the male fed it once and offered it further food. The male kept making "soothing noises" and stayed nearby for quite some time.

I remember saying at the time that it was more like courting behaviour, but it was the juvenile, and the male did not make real advances.

Very interesting.

Robyn