birding-aus

Bassian -Russet-tailed Thrush

To: <>
Subject: Bassian -Russet-tailed Thrush
From: "Bob Black" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 12:15:15 +1000
On January 1st this year we climbed Gulaga (Mt Dromedary) on the NSW south
coast, near Bermagui.  Among the birds seen were ten Bassian Thrush. One of the
two I photographed had an entirely white outer tail feather, which shows
clearly in the photo. The guides suggest the Russet-tailed Thrush doesn't occur
so far South,and the Russet taileds I have seen in S.Qld looked quite a
different colour from this one. Is this a rare aberrant plumage? It suggests
that the amount of white in the outer tail feather isn't always a reliable
diagnostic feature, as this bird had more white than a Russet tailed.
Cheers, Bob Black, Byfield,Qld