birding-aus

Brief Trip Report(ish) - Hawai'i 24/9-30/9

To: <>
Subject: Brief Trip Report(ish) - Hawai'i 24/9-30/9
From: "Frank Hemmings" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 08:52:22 +1000
Hi All,

Got back Sunday before last (1/10) from a week's holiday in Hawai'i.  I'll get
a proper report together soon but just wanted to put a brief-ish message up.
Managed to do a day over on the Big Island, and also spent a day birding around
O'ahu with local Kurt Pohlman, as well as doing some incidental birding along
the way.  Saw 64 species for the trip, with 43 lifers.  In Kapiolani Park and
nearby Waikiki lifers included House Finch,Yellow-fronted Canary, Common
Waxbill, Japanese White-eye, Northern Mockingbird, Red-crested Cardinal &
White-tailed Tropicbird.  Also got Red-footed Booby and White-rumped Shama in
touring around

On 26/9 I flew over to the 'Big Island' - Hawai'i -  to do the Hakalau tour
with Hawai'i Forest & Trail.  Picked up lifers along the drive to and from the
Hakalau National Wildlife Refuge, including Yellow-billed Cardinal, Northern
Cardinal, Saffron Finch, Red Avadavat, African Silverbill, Wild Turkey, Kalij
Pheasant, Chukar, Black Francolin, Erckel's Francolin, California Quail, Pueo
(endemic race of Short-eared Owl) and the endemic Nene or Hawaiian Goose.  In
the refuge I also saw all endemics I had hoped to see at this site including
I'o (or Hawaiian Hawk), Hawai'Ii 'Amakihi, 'Elepaio (Volcanoes race), 'Omao,
'I'iwi, 'Apapane, Hawai'i Creeper, 'Akepa and Akiapola'au - also managed to see
a few Red-billed Leiothrix here too.

Travelled to a number of sites throughout the day with O'ahu resident, Kurt
Pohlman, and we saw plenty of birds, highlights included endangered O'ahu race
of endemic 'Elepaio, and lifers for me included endemic resident O'ahu
'Amakihi, endemic Hawaiian Coot, endemic race of Black-necked Stilt, Mourning
Dove, Mariana Swiftlet, White-faced Ibis, Dunlin, Long-billed Dowitcher,
Bristle-thighed Curlew, Semipalmated Plover, and White-rumped Sandpiper. Cheers.

Frank

Frank Hemmings
Curator
John T. Waterhouse Herbarium
School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences
University of New South Wales
UNSW SYDNEY 2052
AUSTRALIA

Tel +61 2 9385 3274