birding-aus

Glossy Black Cockatoo versus Red-tailed Black Cockatoo at Burren Junctio

To: alan morris <>,
Subject: Glossy Black Cockatoo versus Red-tailed Black Cockatoo at Burren Junction
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 12:57:52 +1000 (EST)
Alan,

  Agreed, I shouldn't have assumed they were GBlacks, but with having seen them
on the BJ to Wee Waa Rd twice on two recent visits and with the HANZAB range of
Red-taileds as being generally east to Walgett (and no mention of the Namoi on
all of the river courses and overflows listed, and upon which Wee Waa sits), I
thought I'd make that suggestion. I hadn't recalled any reports of Red-taileds
around BJ on the reports that had been posted (I must have missed Allan's).

  Sorry, it should've come across as a suggestion, not a correction.

  Mick

alan morris <> wrote:
  Hi Birders,

I am not necessarily convinced that the black cockatoos seen by Bruce Roubin
between Wee Waa and Burren Junction on 1 October 2006 were in fact Glossy
Black Cockatoos. This is because Red-tailed Black Cockatoos occur between
Burren Junction and Walgett , although mostly at the Walgett end. So either
species could be present.

Therefore it should not be a question of location, rather, the
identification should be based upon the description of the birds sighted and
what they were doing. Glossies feed in the casuarina trees while in that
area, Red-tails feed mainly on the ground. I wait to be convinced either
way!

Alan Morris
Records Officer,
Birding NSW