birding-aus

Regent Honeyeater fledgling

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Regent Honeyeater fledgling
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 18:06:01 +1000
Hello all,

Just a quick email to let you know that I’ve started putting up photos
from my recent central NSW trip. I’ve started with the Capertee Valley
(western side of the Wollemi wilderness, just over the range from Sydney
etc) and in particular a selection of Regent Honeyeater photographs. One
young’un was fledged from a nest high up in a River Oak on the Capertee
River. I haven’t had a chance to read up on whether there would normally
be more than one chick fledged but I would assume that there would
normally be greater than one?

Both parents were looking after it as it hopped/ flew from one branch to
another. It would stay in position for 15-30 minutes before deciding to
change position. Sometimes a chosen position would be clear enough for
me to photograph the goings-on. A parent would tend the upper end of the
chick by feeding it and then the parent would clean up the lower end as
well! Presumably this reduces the risk of a predator finding it from a
trail of droppings.

Adult calling frequency was much greater once fledging had occurred.
This was especially the case when other Regents would pass through along
the river.

Beautiful birds.

Cheers

Mick Todd