birding-aus

Amazing Oxley Creek Common morning, Brisbane

To: Birding-aus <>, "Tim Murphy" <>
Subject: Amazing Oxley Creek Common morning, Brisbane
From: "Chris Sanderson" <>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 19:19:08 +1000
Hi all,

I had a really incredible day at Oxley Creek Common this morning, recording
quite a lot of birds I wouldn't expect to get in Brisbane.  Probably the
weirdest record was a single male Brown Songlark in breeding plumage,
perched on a fence halfway to Pelican Lagoon.  I had a great view of it
sitting next to an Australian Pipit for a size comparison.  The bird only
stayed very briefly on the fence before flying very far away from the road.

I also recorded a pair of Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoos feeding in clover where
the strange telephone poles are at the junction.  They were showing very
well though they weren't very approachable for photographs (I got some
half-decent shots anyway).

There were 4 Yellow-rumped Thornbills in the casuarinas at the first creek
crossing from the entrance.  They were actively foraging and calling, but
left the area eventually and I didn't see them again.  Nearby were
Variegated Fairy-Wrens, not unexpected, but the first I've seen at the
Common.

There were 2 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, and a single Pacific Golden Plover in
partial breeding plumage at the lagoon on the way to Pelican's, and 4
Latham's Snipe, a male Australasian Shoveller, 2 Glossy Ibis and 2 Magpie
Geese at Pelican's Lagoon.  I also had a possible dark crake in the reeds,
but from poor views it could also have been a young moorhen.

And finally there was a single Whiskered Tern in full breeding plumage that
was moving through the area briefly when I first arrived at the water.

In all I had 53 species in a couple of hours, not my best effort
numbers-wise but certainly the highest number of unusual birds in one go
I've ever had there.

Regards,
Chris
Brisbane, QLD