birding-aus

Things that go 'drart drart' in the night

To: "Evan Beaver" <>, "Birding-Aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Things that go 'drart drart' in the night
From: Kim Sterelny <>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 11:17:27 +1000
At 6:57 AM +1000 4/10/06, Evan Beaver wrote:
Morning all birders.
I've been doing a lot of reading since I returned from Capertee but still
don't have any answers. While camping there we were fairly close to the
creek (sometimes called a river, but definitely a creek at the moment). It
was more full of reeds than I remembered which I was hoping might reveal a
Bittern or similar. All it seemed to do was hide the animals and force them
to make exotic noises. Common frogs (crinea signifera I think) called
throughout the day and into the night. Scarlet Honeyeaters called
incessently and possibly into the night. Down by the river I heard something
frog-like, but clearly not a frog. It called 'drart-drart', then paused,
then again and so on. The reason I thought it wasn't a frog was that the
call was moving quite quickly through the reeds or along the far bank. None
of the bitterns or crakey raily things seem to have similar calls, but maybe
I'm missing something. Admittedly I haven't listened to them, only read
about them. But most of the night birds seem to be boomers and squarkers,
this was much more subtle.

Also heard was something that sounded like a few puppies following their
mother, in roughly the same place, along the river bank. little yaps back
and forth, and they were moving quite quickly. Sadly I suspect these were
foxes but if anyone has a more exciting idea I'd love to hear it. Opinions
are being sought on the ID of either caller.

Ev

Evan

Sugar gliders make a fairly high ptiched yapping noise, sounding like dogs up a tree, on occassion. Could that be a more exciting possiblity?

Kim
--
Kim Sterelny
Philosophy Program

e-mail
 or

ANU Contact Information (July-December)
Philosophy Program
Research School of the Social Sciences
Australian National University
0200 Canberra, ACT, Australia

phone

61- (0)2 6125-2886; messages: Di Crosse: Administrator, Philosophy Program

61-(0)2 -6125 2341,
fax 61-(0)2 - 6125 3294

Victoria University Contact Information (January-June)

Philosophy Program, Victoria University of Wellington, PO Box 600, Wellington, New Zealand

phone:
64-4-463 5233 x 8642
fax: 64-4-463 5130