birding-aus

Capertee Long Weekend

To: "Birding-Aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Capertee Long Weekend
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 08:37:04 +1100
Morning All Birders, and welcome back NSW residents from the long weekend.
My (non-birding) wife and I (not to imply I have a birding wife as well)
headed out to Glen Davis to our 'secret' camping site on the weekend, mostly
for some camping and with some intent of finding an echidna or nocturnal
marsupial. Apart from some Brush Tails we failed on both counts, but saw
quite a lot of birds. Given the nature of the holiday the birding was quite
good; very little actual birding was done that didn't involve sitting in th
car looking out the window. Despite this I recorded 70odd species, with some
blaring omissions among them. While some good birds were seen (Diamond and
Beautiful Firetail, White-Throat Gerygone a few others) the diversity and
excitement I usually associate with Capertee was absent. I was interested to
read Neil Kirby's report of thousands of Woodswallows; I saw one Dusky all
weekend and that was it. There were more over my house un Monday afternoon.
I also thought the trees and particularly the mistletoe were looking quite
sad; withered and bare with very few flowers and in desperate need of rain.
That said I don't know my way around the Valley very well, just the main
roads and obvious points. So in the end there were no new birds for me, but
some excellent views of some old favourites. Bee-Eaters 1.5m from the car
window harrying bees in some low dandelions; enough Scarlet Honeyeaters to
send me temporarily mad, I could still hear their calls ringing in my ears
well after dark and a good flock of Common Bronzies, a bird I've only ever
had fleeting glances at. All in all a good weekend, but I'll probably wait
till it rains before heading back out there. Either that or bribe Neil into
telling me where all the good spots are...

Evan
--
Evan Beaver
Lapstone, Blue Mountains, NSW