birding-aus

News from Gloucester

To: "" <>
Subject: News from Gloucester
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 22:32:05 +1000
Dear all

This is perhaps the best time of year to be in Gloucester. The Bottlebrushes are coming into flowers (little gum blossom as yet) and my mulberry tree is heavy with unripe fruit. Rain over the past few weeks has brought on all the growth, frogs are noisy, mozzies active and birds everywhere.

The best sighting so far was yesterday 10.30am Sunday 3rd Oct when a Channel-billed Cuckoo flew low over my garden closely pursued by 2 Little Raven - loud squawks from all three. I'd heard one at 8am but this was a fantastic sight. A local sheep farmer tells me he heard his first Channel-billed about 2 weeks ago in Barrington village area.

Other long time absences have been Scarlet Honeyeaters, back in the bottlebrush flowers, and Pheasant Coucal calling from 26th Sept, Leaden Flycatcher calling and a Shining-bronze Cuckoo flew into my neighbour's window (dead) on 27th. Up to 15 green Satin Bower-birds visit the birdbath everyday, along with Magpies, Lewin's Honeyeaters, Eastern & Crimson Rosellas, green King Parrots, Red Wattlebirds, Spotted Turtle-doves, Crested Pigeons and Noisy Friarbirds, and I have to fill it daily with all the energetic splashing that goes on. Both Fantail and Shining-bronze cuckoos have been very noisy.

A juvenile White-bellied Sea-Eagle has been around lately and a Little Corella flew into a small wattle in my back garden on 26th and was promptly seen off by a Red Wattlebird.

The two Black-faced Cuckoo-Shrikes that were building a nest in a nearby gum have deserted. My 3 resident Magpies flew into the tree, one landing beside the half-built nest. It looked at the nest but didn't touch it and then flew off after the BFCS both attacked. I didn't see any further nest building action and two days later I noticed the nest was falling apart. Then a female Figbird landed beside it and removed some of the material.

Spring has really sprung in Gloucester!