birding-aus

Mallee trip - Not as successful as Tim

To: Bird Aus <>
Subject: Mallee trip - Not as successful as Tim
From: Melissa Falconer <>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 19:23:02 +1000 (EST)
Hi Tim,
  How I wish we had your detailed info before our trip. We returned yesterday
from Wyperfield, Murray-Sunset and Lindsay Island. My first trip to this area
as a serious birdo but one of many for my husband.
  Highlights being Majors at Pine Plains, with what looked to be a few
immatures, Mallefowl at Waithe rd reserve outside Lascelles, Sth Whiteface,
Gilberts Whistler, Regents, Blue-faced honeyeater and Inland Thornbill at
Lindsay Island.
  My husband got Gilberts Whistler twice but I dipped though I did get 16
lifers.
  Unbeleivable how dry it is. Three and four hundred year old red gums dying in
great numbers. Apart from trees directly on the river, everything is struggling.
  So sad to see. And the poor folks living up there are on stage five water
restrictions. Perhaps city folk should see it for thier own eyes and would then
think twice about the terrrible water wastage that happens in the citys.
  I'll now get off my soapbox.
  Regards
  Melissa Falconer