birding-aus

"Piping Shrike"

To: Ian May <>, Dr Richard Nowotny <>
Subject: "Piping Shrike"
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 11:08:36 +1000

> From: Ian May <>
> Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 15:19:00 +1100
> To: Dr Richard Nowotny <>
> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] "Piping Shrike"
>
> 'Day Doc
>

> Piping Shrike was the early common name used for White-backed Magpie.
> I think this term was used in Campbells Nest and Eggs of Australian
> birds or perhaps "Norths" Nest and Eggs published in the 1890's but I
> dont have access to these books at present and am relying on unreliable
> memory here.  The SA emblem is a stylised image of the magpie.

[Snip]

I don't have a copy of North, but Campbell (1901) does not list Piping
Shrike in his index.  He does list a "Pied Crow Shrike": Strepera graculina,
and at the head of the entry (p. 58) Campbell puts:

    "Figure - Gould: Birds of Australia, fol., vol. ii, pl. 42."

 And BTW, Campbell offers this additional bit of info:

    "The call notes of the Pied Crow Shrike sound very much like the words
'two and two are four' "

Gould does have a "Piping Crow-Shrike" - vol. ii, pl. 46.  Gymnorhina
tibicin.  Campbell refers to that Gould figure, but calls the species
"Black-backed Magpie".

Leach ("An Australian Bird Book") uses "Black-backed Magpie" for G. tibicin,
and gives "Piper" and "Piping Crow-Shrike" as other names.

Caley ("What Bird is That?") gives "Black-backed Magpie also called Piping
Crow-shrike" for G. tibicin.

HANZAAB, v. 7 p. 579, offers Piping Crow-shrike as one of the other English
names for the Australian Magpie.

None of them refer to a "Piping Shrike", so much thanks to Ian May for his
info.

Syd