birding-aus

PENRHYN; MASON PARK; HEN & CHICKEN BAY, SYDNEY

To: "Birding-Aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: PENRHYN; MASON PARK; HEN & CHICKEN BAY, SYDNEY
From: "Graham Buchan" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:41:17 +1000
Folks,

This morning at Penrhyn:

c 15 Sharpies
1 White-Fronted Tern
3 Crested Terns
5 BT Godwit
1 Pacific GP
1 Grey Plover
6 RN Stint
4 Red Capped Plover

The GP was a greyish smaller individual, calling regularly, with long but
predominantly very worn tertials and a nominal wing projection beyond the tail.

Having dropped off my application at the UAC in Homebush, I went to Mason Park
(off Underwood Rd) in the afternoon. A great little wetland (shame they haven't
used the same principles for the Homebush Bay 'weed farm'!) - 50+ Sharpies,
nesting Stilts, 1 Cattle Egret and 1 Pacific Golden Plover (this was also seen
feeding with 2 Sharpies in the adjacent culvert as the tide went out). I
noticed the Sharpies leaving in small groups in a clear ESE direction. Using
the UBD street map I guessed thay were off to Hen and Chicken Bay.

Down at Hen & Chicken Bay there were some 30-40 Sharpies on the mudflats
adjacent to the big mangrove trees at the southern end. Along the shore line
were c.35 BT Godwits. A surprise was a flock of 11 Curlew Sandpipers, the most
I've seen round Sydney.

Does anyone have any ideas as to who and how we could lobby for the Homebush
Bay 'weed farm' (or at least a major part of it) to be improved like Mason
Park? Narrow bars jutting out into the saltmarsh, low-lying islands, various
structures for perching and roosting would turn it from a near-monoculture to a
much richer habitat than currently. Perhaps it could be made more tidal as
well. If anyone else is interested in pursuing this, I would be happy to help.

Cheers,

Graham Buchan