birding-aus

Grey-headed Lapwing Dip

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Grey-headed Lapwing Dip
From: John Tongue <>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 11:02:29 +1000
Hi all,
I wonder if we're the first ones to 'dip' on the GHL??

My wife and I were up from Hobart for my nephew's confirmation on Sunday, and as we were spending the night with my mother in Tamworth, decided that as we were that 'close' we'd try for the GHL yesterday.

We set out early, arriving at Burren Junction around 8:30. We'd already been in touch with Brett and Jo from the Servo for the lowdown, but called in there first, just to touch base. We were pointed to all the usual haunts, but told no-one had reported the bird for a few days.

We were on a limited timeframe, but searched all the recommended places near the track, grain bunkers, 'swamp' and nearby dams for 2-2.5 hours, but no GHL. Hundreds of Cockatiel feeding on spilt grain, and around 1000+ Plumed Whistling Ducks on the nearby dams, but no sign of the Lapwing. Maybe it's moved to better locations, with the 'swamp' over behind the tracks dry, and the trackside ditches almost so. Maybe it was just laying low in the grass, avoiding increasingly desperate twitchers, or maybe it's heard the call of its native homeland and left. Who knows?

We had to leave to catch flights back to Hobart last night, and I'm sure we'd be feeling a lot less tired today if we had found it.

Scorecard:
                Grey-headed Lapwings                                            0
                Lessons learned about the vagaries of twitching 1

Tired, disappointed, ...... but still undeterred
John and Shirley Tongue
Hobart

(PS We did see lots of species in our dash there and back, the most surprising being a pair of White-bellied Sea Eagles circling over paddocks and scrub - and the Namoi River - between Narrabris and Wee Waa)