birding-aus

Mornington Peninsula, Vic - Hooded Plover update

To: <>
Subject: Mornington Peninsula, Vic - Hooded Plover update
From: "Val Ford" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 08:43:13 +1000
Hi all

The agony and the frustrations of being a Hooded Plover observer / monitor are
once again driving me to despair!

I have been monitoring  the Hooded Plovers on Koonya beach for more than 10
years and this year am providing breeding record data to Grainine Maguire at
Birds Australia.  The largish ocean beach naturally divides into 2 [Koonya East
& Koonya West] so is able to support 2 pairs of HPs.  [However, both pairs are
very defensive of their patches and will expend a lot of energy on chasing away
any other HPs that land on their beach].

The Koonya East pair laid 3 eggs and successfully hatched all 3.  However, as
is often the case, I was able to enjoy the 3 chicks on day 1, saw only 2 on day
2, one on day 6 and when I looked this morning even that was gone.

The Koonya West pair have already had 2 nest failures.  The first due to human
trampling and the second didn't survive the wild weather / high tides of last
weekend.

I suppose my frustrations are nothing compared to the Honours student waiting
to trial chick shelters!!  Anyway I know that when I check them again in 2 days
time they most likely will have started laying again.

Regards
Val
Sorrento, Vic