birding-aus

American Golden Plover - PHOTOGRAPHS

To: "Birding-Aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: American Golden Plover - PHOTOGRAPHS
From: "Graham Buchan" <>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 17:33:57 +1000
Folks,

Further to the recent sighting and various requests for photographs Russell
Woodford has very kindly placed the photographs at the following address:

http://61.69.13.21/home/birding/plover.html

I have reviewed the photographs thoroughly now in terms of the diagnostic
features needed to identify the bird. I have photographed a couple of unusually
grey Pacific Golden Plovers in the past and rejected them based on the
photographic evidence, but this time I have been unable to find any feature
which would enable me do so for this bird.

Indeed, I was very fortunate (and more than a little persistent) to capture all
the features needed to demonstrate (at least to my satisfaction) that this bird
is not another unusual Pacific Plover or worse one which is simply
unidentifiable in the field.

I would welcome any comments as to the identification, as I intend to start
compiling a BARC Submission next week. I am particularly keen to hear from
those who have seen American Golden Plover in the August to October timeframe
and are familiar with it.

A big thank you to all those who have helped me with the process to date.
However, I really want others to see the bird too!

Cheers, Graham
0432 88 00 76