birding-aus

PROBABLE AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER AT BOTANY BAY

To: "Birding-Aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: PROBABLE AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER AT BOTANY BAY
From: "Graham Buchan" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:39:56 +1000
Folks,

There is a probable American Golden Plover at Penrhyn Estuary - off Foreshore
Drive, opposite Botany Road beside the Container Terminal.I saw it last Friday
and then again yesterday. I took notes and many, many photographs yesterday as
there was a clear Pacific Golden Plover in the subject's company providing much
comparative information (both in flight and on the ground).

Photographs have been reviewed by Mike Carter, Tony Palliser, Phil Straw and
Chris Corben (an American birdo with extensive experience in the very difficult
process of identifying between the two species).

Mike Carter is coming up from Melbourne to look for it and I will meet Mike
there - probably in mid-morning.

I have learnt in the past 48 hours how difficult an acceptable record would be
as field (and even in the hand) identification is notoriously difficult, with
only a few key diagnostics including wing length, tertials to primaries,
primaries to tail and tertials to tail. Mike, Tony and Phil might wish to
comment on their thoughts as to both the issues of identification and on the
bird photographs they have seen.

Cheers,

Graham Buchan
0432 88 00 76