birding-aus

Upcoming Trip, Part 3 - Tasmania

Subject: Upcoming Trip, Part 3 - Tasmania
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 14:45:57 EDT
Hello,

The third part of my upcoming birding trip to Australia will be in  Tasmania.
 I'd be very interested in any specific tips or sites along my  itinerary,
and I would also be very interested in birding with local  birders anyplace
along my way.  This will be my first visit to Tasmania,  and I'm really looking
forward to seeing it.

I plan to arrive in Hobart on Saturday night, 4 November, and stay near the
airport.

On Sunday, 5 November, I plan to bird my way to Bruny Island, stopping at  Mt
Wellington/Fern Tree and the Peter Murrell Conservation area.

I'm staying on Bruny Sunday and Monday nights (5 and 6 November), and I'd  be
interested in knowing of any specific sites I should check out on the
island.  Just in case any Tassie birder wanted to have a night or two away,  I
will
have a chalet on the beach with an extra bedroom and would be glad to  have
someone stay over.

On Tuesday, 7 November, I plan to drive to Westerways, near Mt Field Nat'l
Park, birding along the way.

On Wednesday, 8 November, the plan is to drive to Cradle Mountain, probably
via Queenstown and Strahan, although I would be interested in advice about
routing, as well as any information about birding sites along the way.

I plan to spend two nights at Cradle Mountain (Wednesday and Thursday, 8  and
9 November), as much for the scenery and sightseeing as the birding, but I
would also like to know of any specific places in that area to look for
interesting birds.

On Friday, 10 November, I plan to drive back to the Hobart area, and I  would
like advice on what route to take, as well as any birding sites along the
way.  I have been thinking of visiting the caves at Mole Creek  Karst Nat'l
Park, and I'm not sure what route to take from there back to  Hobart.

I don't leave until the late afternoon on Saturday, 11 November, so I hope
to do some birding in the morning, somewhere in the Hobart area.  Any  advice
appreciated.

You can see the entire itinerary of my trip at
_http://barry15.com/2006_Australia_Trip/index.html_
(http://barry15.com/2006_Australia_Trip/index.html)  .

Thanks very much for any suggestions or comments on my plans.

Barry Brugman
USA
_www.barry15.com_ (http://www.barry15.com)