birding-aus

Bassian or Russet-tailed ?

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Bassian or Russet-tailed ?
From: Charles Hunter <>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 08:38:03 +1000 (EST)
  Hi all,

  Two weeks ago on Sunday 3rd September I saw a Thrush, assumed Bassian at
Pearl Beach in NSW. My father had seen it the week before in the same spot
which is about 500 metres from the beach, about 20 metres above sea level on
the path to Green Point waterfall

  The bird was perched in a Lantana thicket which is surrounded by damp
woodland.

  The Field Guides that I use have Russet-tailed at the very southern of its
range.

  I would love some advice from any experts out there. Keen to tick one or the
other as I was in a similar predicament in Lamington NP where many of you wrote
to me saying both species are seen near O'Riellys!

  Regards,
  Charles Hunter
  Paddington, Sydney