birding-aus

Painted Honeyeater

Subject: Painted Honeyeater
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:30:24 +1000
Hi all,

The first Painted Honeyeater has arrived in the Capertee Valley, 10th September, up at the top dam on my place.

The place is absolutely jumping with birds, with many species nesting and an unbelievable number of Grey Fantails at my place. Species I saw nesting on the weekend included Jacky Winter, Fuscous, Brown-headed and Yellow-tufted Honeyeater, Brown Treecreeper, Hooded Robin, Eastern Yellow Robin.

At Brymair in the northern part of the valley, both White-throated and Western Gerygones were obvious and calling; Singing Bushlarks were displaying. Throughout the valley, White Box is still in flower, along with Yellow Box and Mugga Ironbark - all three important nectar trees flowering concurrently. As well as all the more usual honeyeaters and lorikeets there are Spiny-cheeked and Blue-faced Honeyeaters. A number of Rainbow Lorikeets are present behind the Glen Alice church. Rainbows are normally considered rare in the valley.

While the rain was pouring down in Sydney and the mountains, the Capertee was fine enough for birding most of the weekend, with some very welcome showers in between and rain through the nights.

cheers

Carol

--
Carol Probets