birding-aus

Hot air and OBP's

To: "Evan Beaver" <>
Subject: Hot air and OBP's
From: "Greg" <>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 11:46:27 +1000
Hi Evan,

I fully agree with you that we should not bag one idea for reducing climate change/global warming without providing alternatives. We need to adopt alternative energy sources AND to reduce our demand. I strongly oppose nuclear, coal-fired and wind generated power stations but strongly support solar power and a reduction in demand. My wife and I are very power conscious and in 21 years of living at Coutts Crossing, northern NSW, we have had a heater on once. Admittedly we have mild winters but nights and mornings can be very cold. When our neighbours crank up the heaters or put another log on the fire we put on warm clothes or throw a rug over our legs. We have a solar hot water system and to reduce water demand, a rainwater tank. The only reason that the widespread use of solar power is 15 years away (according to the experts interviewed on Catalyst ABC TV) is that it is presently more costly. What price the planet? The solar industry should be subsidised to whatever extent is necessary to replace the existing polluting coal-fired power stations. Governments find plenty of money to fund wars and this is a far greater threat than any terrorist organisation.

Greg Clancy