birding-aus

Green Catbird in my backyard

Subject: Green Catbird in my backyard
From: Bob Wallace <>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 18:22:37 +1000

Last week we heard what we thought was a Catbird but couldn't find anything. A couple of days later we heard it again but couldn't sight the bird calling and decided it must have been the neighbors cat with a stomach complaint. This morning we heard it again and finally found a Green Catbird siting in a gum tree in our backyard. This is surprising as we live in outer surburan Brisbane with no kown rainforest close by. We are on the banks of the Brisbane River which has ~60m green verge of sparse trees - mainly gum and paperbarks etc. For those who know thw Brisbane area it is a couple of Ks downstream of College's Crossing. The big attraction at present is the neighbours Moreton Bay Fig which is full of fruit at the moment. Pizzey states that it is an "occasional vistor to well-tree Sydney suburbs". Any verification of this.