birding-aus

Hot air and OBP's

To: Greg <>
Subject: Hot air and OBP's
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 19:01:44 +1000
I recall an estimate (in Handbook of the Birds of the World - can't recall
the volume) that in the USA alone between 500k and 5m birds a year died in
building collisions, and I would assume that our data would be pro-rata, so
after adding in roadkills etc I guess that windfarms are a very minor
factor.

Of course we will probably never know whether the birds "saved" through less
greenhouse gases are more or less than those lost through collisions!

There is I think too much focus on wind and solar (which are intermittent
technologies) and not enough on energy conservation and storage (needed to
cope with wind and solar) - we need a balanced approach to reduce our impact
on the planet. There are also technologies such as extracting energy from
hot rocks that seem to have a lot of promise (and minimal impact) but have
little publicity.