birding-aus

Chiltern visit - Sept. 2006

Subject: Chiltern visit - Sept. 2006
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 15:31:31 +1000
A great trip to Chiltern (north east Victoria) last weekend for the annual
general meeting of the Friends of Chiltern National Park.

A number of members participated in some treeplanting during the day at
Depot Road and then enjoyed listening to our guest speaker from Birds
Australia (Andrew Silcocks) talk about waders and their conservation in
Australia at the evening meeting and dinner.

Friends of Chiltern - Mt Pilot National Park - >
http://home.iprimus.com.au/focbinp/

We stayed in the caravan park in town along with a number of Bird Observer
Club members from Shepparton and Melbourne.

Birding highlights were as follows:
- Fan-tailed Cuckoos about
- a sole Intermediate Egret at the Lake Anderson Caravan Park
- superb views of two Square-tailed Kites over Klotz's Track in the north
east of the park
- gerygone's and Grey Fantails at Bartley's Block section of the park on
the Howlong Rd.
- nice views of Turquoise Parrots at Bartley's block
- Australasian Shoveler in the Barambogie block and Valley dam no. 2
sections of the park
- lots of Swift Parrots about in nearly all areas we stopped in the park
(they could be heard calling high in the trees)
- the local pair of Yellow Rosella's in the caravan park and in town.

There were still King Parrots, a few Gang Gangs and Pied Currawongs about
as well.

Although this year has been dry and orchids were almost absent, the park
is always worth a visit, especially over the winter months with the wattle
in flower.

All records will be sent to the Atlas of Victorian Wildlife.

Martin O'Brien
Melbourne