birding-aus

Fw: Swift Parrot Recovery Team

To: <>
Subject: Fw: Swift Parrot Recovery Team
From: "alan morris" <>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 08:12:46 +1000
Debbie Saunders has asked me to pass on this message. She is not currentlt connected to Birding-aus.

Alan Morris

Hi Debbie,
Good to hear from you and thanks for the opportunity to clarify what the Swift Parrot Recovery Team is currently doing.

The Swift Parrot Recovery Team is still implementing the recovery program as it has always done throughout the range of the species and is currently developing the next recovery plan. 2006 has seen several change-overs of representatives on the recovery team with new members joining the team and others, such as myself, simply changing roles. For example, although my role has changed from volunteer coordinator to researcher (doing my PhD fulltime) I am still very much an active member of the team. I am currently in the process of preparing my research for publication as well as looking at the amazing data collected by volunteers for over ten years to shed some light on the ecology and movements of the Swift Parrot during their winter migration.

The mainland volunteer surveys (in conjunction with the Regent Honeyeater Recovery Team) which are an integral part of the recovery effort have continued this year thanks to our large and dedicated network of volunteers, the only difference being that the Swift Parrot coordinator position changed hands and was of shorter duration this year (although survey forms continue to be received and collated). The volunteer coordinator position will be up and running again for the whole 2007 season to make sure that the volunteer program continues and that all the invaluable information collected is used to further our knowledge of the species' and its conservation needs. Please be rest assured that the program will continue as it always has, and apologies if the change-over of team members has caused any uncertainty about the recovery team and recovery program. Your patience and participation this year is greatly appreciated and we look forward to having a more prominent presence, and another successful season in 2007.

Cheers Debbie Saunders