birding-aus

325 birders visit Grey-headed Lapwing & FINAL CALL for responses

Subject: 325 birders visit Grey-headed Lapwing & FINAL CALL for responses
From: "R Clarke" <>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 10:19:53 +1000
Hi All,
Thanks to everyone that has already responded to my emails regarding both
the running tally of birders that have been to Burren Junction and the
questionnaire that sought information concerning the economics of
birdwatchers travelling to see the Grey-headed Lapwing. Of those people that
have received a questionnaire I?ve had an ~80% response rate. Thankyou very
much.

By my tally 325 birders have been to Burren Junction, which would have to
make it one of the largest twitches in Australia. As many birders would know
vagrants typically stay at a single site for relatively short periods. The
Lapwing?s site faithfulness is therefore quite remarkable; though not
unprecedented as the first Oz Laughing Gulls in Cairns were around for more
than two years.

Originally I had planned to run the study until the bird moved on. However,
with the bird still present after 2 ½ months it can?t go on indefinitely so
I?m going to wrap up the survey this weekend. This is therefore a FINAL CALL
for additions to the tally of people that have been to see the bird at any
stage since it was discovered up until this Sunday 3rd Sept. If you have
posted to birding-aus or contacted me directly you?ve already been included
in the tally. Likewise anybody that hasn?t received a questionnaire and
would like to complete one, or has one and is still keen to get it back to
me, please send me an email as soon as possible (preferably within the next
7 days).

Once all the surveys are in I?ll post a summary of the expenditure that the
Grey-headed Lapwing has generated (which has been quite substantial).
Ultimately it is my intention that the results will be written up as a
paper.

Regards,

Rohan
______
Dr Rohan Clarke
Research Fellow
School of Life and Environmental Sciences
Deakin University
221 Burwood Hwy
Burwood, Vic 3125
AUSTRALIA
Ph.     03 925 17607
Mob.    0408 947 001
Fax.    03 925 17626
email:

Search for local singles online @ Lavalife
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D23198&_t=751140432&_r=emailtaglines_search_aug06&_m=EXT