birding-aus

The Birds are Coming

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: The Birds are Coming
From: "Roger Giller" <>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 14:45:36 +1000
The following article appeared in last Thursday's edition of the St George and
Sutherland Shire Leader. They don't publish online so I scanned it.

It sounds like a great idea. I am just wondering why, in an article containing
so many details of the background, funding etc., did they not bother to tell us
how to find this platform. I'm sure the sponsors who funded it would like
visitors to be able to find it.

I have contacted the Leader by email and asked if they could publish an
addendum/clarification in a future issue.

Roger Giller.

THE BIRDS ARE COMING FOR THEIR SPRING BREAK

By Amanda Carlin

Migratory birds will soon arrive on the NSW coastline for their ver­sion of
spring break.

Towra Point, near Kurnell, is one popular site and thanks to a new viewing
platform overlooking it and Quibray Bay, the birds will be able to breed
undisturbed.

 The Quibray Bay viewing platform is the first in a series of decks to give
students and other visitors a chance to learn about the significance of Towra
Point Nature Reserve without disturb­ing its flora and fauna.

National Parks and Wildlife Service area manager Christine Hopkins said it was
important to protect the area from human disturbance and weed invasion.

She said the platform gave visitors an environmentally sensitive access point
complete with educational signage.

It also closed illegal access for people dumping rubbish or walking their dogs.

"It's great for waders because we do have at least a chance of them being
undisturbed," Ms Hopkins said.

"They need these mudflats and they've been largely excluded from the rest of
Botany Bay. That's why it's particularly important for people not to be walking
their dogs along here or horses."

The Botany Bay Busy Bees removed weeds and regenerated the bush, collecting
cuttings and seeds from indigenous plants for propa­gation.

The platform cost almost $55,000 and was funded by Caltex Australia Pty Ltd,
P&O Ports, artist Robyn Collier, the Department of Environ­ment and
Conservation and the Foun­dation for National Parks and Wildlife.