birding-aus

Cairns 28/8 - 30/8

To: "Simon Blanchflower" <>
Subject: Cairns 28/8 - 30/8
From: Sue & Phil Gregory <>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 09:56:16 +1000
Thanks Simon, some interesting points here:
I always find the bill of Leaden deceptively broad from some angles, indeed surprisingly so, so much that i am not convinced that it is all that much use as a field character. i know in the mangroves at Hisiu in PNG, there are these very wide billed flycatchers which on both call and male plumage are clearly Leaden. Not too sure about tail shape as diagnostic, I fear moult and state of plumage may affect this, but it is worth looking to see if it works. I know Broad-billed is known from the mouth of the Mossman River, not too far north of here. I find the pale lores are a very good feature for them in the the Darwin area, but in some areas ( ? FNQ) the birds seemingly don't show this feature. I have no local records of the species and would be interested to hear of other records from south of Mossman. Calls are helpful, beyond the generic scolding Myiagra type call which is similar in all 3 of the group. I agree the birds are easily missed, but they are also easily confused and females of the group are a considerable i.d. challenge, especially out of breeding range.
Thanks for your comments.
Regards
Phil Gregory