birding-aus

Southport (QLD) Pelagic Report 19/08/06

Subject: Southport (QLD) Pelagic Report 19/08/06
From: "Daniel Mantle" <>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 23:58:37 +0100

  Hi everyone,

  Paul Walbridge has asked me to post the Southport Pelagic Report
  (which he compiled) for the 19/08/06. I am sure he could have asked
  several people to post this report on birding-aus but I guess he
  choose me as I dipped on Queensland's first live Westland
  Petrel. I had to pull out of the trip at 5 am that morning, having
  dropped my flatmate to Wally Walbridge's house for the trip. Bloody
  typical. So much for the luck of the Irish! They were even kind enough
  to ring me from the boat to let me know what they were watching.
  Thanks Seb and Paul!! Gotta go the miners are going off outside. There
  is a raptor about ...... it was a Brown Gossie (first from the office,
  so some luck after all).

  Cheers Dan Mantle

                    Southport Pelagic Report 19/8/06.

  Vessel: 37ft foam-filled fibreglass monohull.

  Skipper: Leon Paddy Dimond.

  Crew: John Neller.

  Pax: Paul Walbridge (Leader & organizer), Brian Russell, Seb Pardo,
  Chris Barnes, Chris Sanderson & friend Danica, Tina Manners, Bill
  Manners, Norbert Roeder, Joachim, Kantelhart, Tony Scriven.

  Weather Conditions: (including wind speed & direction).

  A High over the Tasman Sea extended a firm ridge along the east
  Queensland coast, with a weak frontal system traversing the southern
  parts of the state. The winds in the week leading up had been mainly
  SE-NE 10-20 knots. On the day, light variable winds, with a
  north-easterly onshore breeze to 15 knots in the afternoon. Little
  cloud cover with bright Spring conditions during the morning with
  excellent visibility, cloud increasing during the afternoon. Barometer
  1020 hPa, air temp. to 25'0C.

  Sea Conditions: (including water temp. °C, when possible).

  Fairly calm early on with .5 metre swell increasing to 1metre seas on
  1.5 metre swell by mid-morning. Sea-surface temps. 21'0C inshore
  rising to 23'0C at the Shelf-break & 23.4'0C out wide in Slope waters.
  EAC running at about 1.5 knots at widest drift.

  Left the Seaway at 0705 hrs & traveled out over the Shelf with the
  first drift still in Shelf waters at 0847 hrs in approx. 80 fathoms of
  water. Crossed the Shelf-break at about 0915 hrs and conducted several
  drifts over the next 3 hours or so before heading back to the Seaway
  at 1208 hrs. Total duration for the trip 7 hrs 55 mins.

  On leaving the Seaway, noticed a distinct lack of Australasian Gannets
  and within a few minutes the first of many Wedge-tailed Shearwaters
  appeared, confirming that Winter had left us and Spring had sprung!
  Traversing the Shelf showed little of note apart from increasing
  numbers of Wedge-tails until a large, dark petrel appeared astern at
  0847 hrs. This was something different & I soon realised we had a
  Procellaria on our hands, any of which are extremely rare in
  Queensland waters. As it approached I dismissed Black Petrel, as this
  bird seemed to big and the jizz to robust ( there was a single
  Wedge-tail Shearwater on hand for comparison) and thought maybe our
  second record of White-chinned Petrel, for Southport.

  Closer, closer, then Bingo! black bill-tip Queenslands first live
  sighting at sea of Westland Petrel. I quickly got the vessel to stop
  and barked out the order for chum over, by the time Id ducked inside
  to get my camera gear the bird had settled close astern of the boat,
  gobbling up sharks liver. For the next 30 minutes we had great views
  and with all the digi-cams on board, lots of photos taken. The bird
  finally had enough and headed off south while we headed east to the
  Shelf-break. My submission for this bird has already been sent to
  BARC.

  By now as we crossed into Slope waters a few Huttons Shearwaters
  zoomed past and the first Providence Petrels started to appear along
  with a few small feeding parties of Wedge-tailed Shearwaters. At 1035
  hrs we came across a feeding party of Wedge-tails and upon pulling
  alongside a very pale petrel appeared amongst them, this proved to be
  the first Kermadec for the day, a pale phase bird. This bird was most
  accommodating and after a few minutes was joined by another, this one
  being an all dark bird, what a contrast! Kermadec Petrels are becoming
  very regular on Southport trips.

  We moved a short distance to where another feeding flock of
  Wedge-tails & Sooty Terns could be seen and were joined at 1100 hrs by
  a young Wandering Albatross, a stage 3 bird and it quickly settled in
  for a feed. By now several Wedge-tailed Shearwaters, a few Providence
  Petrels, several Sooty Terns and a couple of Wilsons Storm Petrels
  were around the slick with a few Huttons Shearwater flybys.

  On the journey back, not much to report apart from a single Fluttering
  Shearwater and finally, small numbers of Australasian Gannets.
  Overall, the species diversity was down for August and certainly from
  the previous trip (July) when we had 4 species of albatross and 7
  Black-bellied Storm Petrels but the Westland Petrel more than made up
  for that.

  Species:

  Providence Petrel 14 (3)

  Kermadec Petrel 2 (2)

  Westland Petrel 1

  Wedge-tailed Shearwater - 138 (30)

  Fluttering Shearwater 1

  Huttons Shearwater -13 (5)

  Wandering Albatross (exulans) 1

  Wilsons Storm Petrel 2 (1)

  Australasian Gannet 4 (2)

  Pied Cormorant 1

  Silver Gull 5

  Crested Tern 1

  Sooty Tern 23 (8)

  Southport Pelagics are run on the 3^rd Saturday of each month, the
  next trip being on September 16^th with spaces still available.

  Contact: Paul Walbridge on (H) 07 3391 8839 (W) 07 3350 8258.

  E-mail:
  This email, including any attachments sent with it, is
  confidential and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
  This confidentiality is not waived or lost, if you receive it and
  you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/
  received in error.
  Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or
  review of this email is strictly prohibited. The information
  contained in this email, including any attachment sent with
  it, may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality if it
  relates to health service matters.
  If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have
  received this email in error, you are asked to immediately
  notify the sender by telephone collect on Australia
  +61 1800 198 175 or by return email. You should also
  delete this email, and any copies, from your computer
  system network and destroy any hard copies produced.
  If not an intended recipient of this email, you must not copy,
  distribute or take any action(s) that relies on it; any form of
  disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this
  email is also prohibited.
  Although Queensland Health takes all reasonable steps to
  ensure this email does not contain malicious software,
  Queensland Health does not accept responsibility for the
  consequences if any person's computer inadvertently suffers
  any disruption to services, loss of information, harm or is
  infected with a virus, other malicious computer programme or
  code that may occur as a consequence of receiving this
  email.
  Unless stated otherwise, this email represents only the views
  of the sender and not the views of the Queensland Government.

  Customise your home page with RSS feeds - [2]NEW on MSN Ireland!